70 Lloyd Road, Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ 07423
|Writing in Social Studies|
Writing in Social Studies
Helpful Hints for Historical Writing for Students:
1. Assume your audience knows nothing about the historical topic.
2. Historical Writing is fact based.
3. Chronology and sequence are important for organizing historical writing.
4. Historical facts should support statements or reasons (and your thesis!)
5. Use the appropriate historical time frame.
6. Make historical writing interesting to the audience by:
a. Proving details from the time period
b. Organizing historical information clearly so that it makes an impact on the audience
c. Using first person, IF writing as a historical figure.
source: Pitard, Peter. Writing in the Social Studies Classroom. Williamsburg, Virginia. 2011
“The Ho-Ho-Kus Public School is committed to a high standard of academic excellence in compliance with the|
core curriculum content standards in a safe and nurturing environment that will allow students to maximize their
potential and prepare them to be responsible, contributing members of a diverse society.”