70 Lloyd Road, Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ 07423
Home Our District Departments For Parents For Students For Staff Teacher Web Pages Lunch

Per Governor Murphy, school will be closed for the remainder of the academic year.

Physical Education Department Home
Meet the Teachers
Days of Class
Activity Calendars
Middle School Physical Education
Elementary Physical Education
Middle School PE Units
Elementary PE Units
Grades 5-8 Written Assignments
Fitness Unit
Suggested Fitness-Activity Apps
Soccer Unit
Football Unit
Ultimate Unit
Hockey Unit
Team Handball Unit
Basketball Unit
Volleyball & Newcomb Unit
Jump Rope Unit
Rugby Unit
Track & Field Unit
Wiffle Ball Unit
Lacrosse Unit
Badminton Unit
Pickleball Unit
FitnessGram Testing
Presidential Standards
Ring The Bell Club
Board Games

Middle School Physical Education

Expectations for Middle School Physical Education:

Physical Education is an activity class that requires active, positive participation on a daily basis. Students in class are expected to dress daily and perform the activities to the best of their ability .


Students must ask permission to attend music lessons during physical education class. Students must participate in class in order to play or practice in after school activity .


Students are required to dress in proper physical education attire (neat, clean and appropriate shorts/sweatpants and T-shirt/sweatshirt) following the school code. Clothing worn to school is not acceptable for physical education attire. Proper athletic shoes that give support and cover the entire foot must be worn. This does not include Uggs, boots, sandals or slip on shoes. We are often outside for class so students are to dress appropriately. If a student chooses NOT to dress, they must stay with the class, but cannot participate in the class activity. Reading materials and written work will be given to students who are unable to participate in physical activity. If students do not participate in PE class, they will not be allowed to participate during recess or after school activities. Students not participating in regular class activities may be given an alternative activity (i.e. walking around the track or upper body activities) or written assignments to complete during class.


It is our philosophy that students well enough to come to school are well enough to dress and participate, to the best of their ability. A written note from a doctor or physical therapist is required if the student is going to be absent from PE class for more than one week. Students who are under doctor’s care for an extended period of time need a doctor’s note to return to physical education class. The student will be allowed one excused note from the school nurse per marking period.


Students are expected to participate in each class to the best of their ability. Active and cooperative participation is critical for a student to be successful. Without quality participation it is impossible to pass Physical Education. It is expected that all students will conduct themselves in a SAFE and RESPECTFUL manner. NO gum chewing or jewelry! Consequences for poor choices in behavior (including inappropriate language) will result in consequences in these order time-outs, detention, parent notification, removal from class, and disciplinary action. Extreme causes will require further action.


  • Students are assigned lockers. Students will be given locks to use on designated lockers. Students need to return the same lock given in the beginning of the year back at the end of the year. There is a replacement fee of $10 for lost or damaged locks.
  • Students should take their clothes home to wash at least once a week.
  • It is the student's responsibility to keep their belongings locked up in a locker. Choosing to leave items out and keeping items in an unlocked locker creates an unsecured area. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
  • Students are expected to behave appropriately and keep the locker rooms in order. Vandalism will not be tolerated.
  • Students should be using stick deodorant. NO SPRAY DEODORANT!
  • No eating or drinking is permitted in the gymnasium or locker rooms.


Students receive letter grades in Middle school PE. Students are graded on their attitude effort/participation , skill , behavior , and preparedness . Students are graded daily on a 5 points scale for the participation grade, which is 75% of the final marking period grade. The other 25% is written assessments, which are given at least twice per quarter. See attached rubric.

“The Ho-Ho-Kus Public School is committed to a high standard of academic excellence in compliance with the
core curriculum content standards in a safe and nurturing environment that will allow students to maximize their
potential and prepare them to be responsible, contributing members of a diverse society.”

zumu logo
Powered by Zumu Software
Websites at the speed of life.